The use of fireworks in unincorporated Boulder County


The Fourth of July is quickly approaching and we often receive questions about the use of fireworks. We are currently under fire restrictions for western Boulder County. This means that it is illegal to use any fireworks for residents or visitors to our mountain areas.

For those residents and visitors who are celebrating the Fourth of July in unincorporated Boulder County, east of Highway 36 and 93, the short explanation is that if it flies or explodes, it’s illegal. Please remember that just because you can buy certain types of fireworks in Colorado, doesn’t mean they are legal to use where you are.

If you live within an incorporated city or town, you will need to check with them on their fireworks regulations.

What are permissible fireworks for unincorporated Boulder County?

Cylindrical or cone fountains, wheels and ground spinners, illuminating torches and colored fire, dipped sticks and sparklers, toy propellant or toy smoke devices, trick noise makers, and snake or glow worms are all permissible when a fire restriction or ban is not in effect.

What are illegal fireworks for unincorporated Boulder County?

Any devices or components that, when used or ignited, project or disburse any metal, glass, or brittle plastic fragments. Cherry bombs, roman candles, firecrackers, bottle rockets, shells and rockets, M-80s and M-100s, and helicopters are all examples of illegal fireworks.

Fireworks safety tips:

• Never allow young children to play with or ignite fireworks, adults should always supervise.

• Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose handy in case of fire.

• Light one item at a time then move back quickly.

• Never try to re-light or pick up fireworks that have not fully functioned.

• Never point or throw fireworks at another person.

• Douse the spent firework with plenty of water before discarding it to prevent a fire.

The best safety tip we have is to leave the fireworks to the professionals – attend a public fireworks display. Check the local papers for information about public celebrations in your are

Updated: 2 July, 2017 — 8:19 am