Last year the speed limit on Niwot Road east of 95th was reduced from 50 to 40 mph. In response to a request from the NCA for more information, the Boulder County department of Transportation came back with the following:
The basis for the speed limit change included:
- Isabelle Road, a very similar facility in length, width and density, was studied within the previous 6 months and found to warrant a 40 mph speed limit
- The recovery area along Niwot is narrower than on Isabelle
- We received several complaints from the residents on Niwot that people were driving too fast
- Based on the similarities and narrower physical features, it was determined that Niwot should also have a 40 mph speed limit.
- If the shoulder were expanded the department is committed to reevaluating the speed limit.
- A Niwot shoulder is on the department project list and slated for some time in the next 3-5 years. Budget and other constraints will dictate when it actually happens.